- I tell you, there is nothing like the pointless futzing of Wind Waker to put one in a pleasant stupor. I think some game designer went mad with power and made a game composed entirely of side quests, and somebody forcibly injected a couple of temples in there just so gamers could get their bearings. You can spend hours just wandering around on the ocean dredging up treasure boxes. And every time you get a New Item you gotta make the round of islands again to see if it'll do anything. It's GREAT.
- I finally got my hands on a copy of The Lando Calrissian Adventures. I never understood quite why Lando was the forgotten character. I was always kind of impressed with the way he behaved when pushed into a corner in Empire
—it’s not particularly savory, but selling out some guy you’ve never heard of to protect your entire city is a pragmatic call, the lesser of two evils. And when Vader starts to make the lesser of two evils just as evil as the greater one, he tries diplomacy, and when that
fails him, he takes the gonzo option.
Also, he destroyed the second Death Star. Yes, I realize that Luke had already done one, but I don’t think the destroyed planets would have cared if the Death Star was old meme.
- Speaking of crazy space adventures, I have figured out another reason writers make series—they have too damn many plots to fit into one book. So even though I plan to concentrate on the OGYAFE after Doctors! gets squared around, I may have to scribble a few things about Dweiji and the Princess, since we have achieved a Plot, and maybe even a Sequel. Hell, that might be more marketable than Doctors!, because even though it’s in the same universe, it’s your basic garden variety Crazy Space Adventure. (People wonder why I love space opera—it’s because this genre's “garden variety” garden contains shit like crystal plants and Grovebacks
- One more thing on science fiction, and it’s definitely a Bad Sign: I also have picked up the urge to actually write
some of those alien-written paperbacks Dweiji keeps in her ship. Yes. I now want to write AU fic—not fic in an alternate universe, but stuff that counts as fiction in
my alternate universe. YES I AM CRAZY.
- In Making Stuff News, I think I’ve worked out a way to make Kuen’s tablet—basically, a computer for someone with different aesthetics. And I am hoping the sewmonster bites me again soon, because I have a boatload of projects to do. I’m going to try at least to get something done for Daja before her birthday.
- I have found another good fall-asleep thing in my iPod: language tapes. The weird thing is, I hate listening to people talking on the radio when I'm awake. It's distracting and somehow unsettling. But when I'm not trying to do anything and have the voices on low, it's nice. Background noise or something.
- I’m wondering if my recent lethargy is related to a lack of proper food. I seem to get this regularly. I’ll see if once again recalibrating my diet so that it isn’t mostly pizza bagels and Girl Scout cookies helps.
And now to quit procrastinating and get my ass back into Doctors! I should be done by now, dammit.